[gst-devel] getting element by name without knowing it's parent

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Oct 5 19:17:23 CEST 2009

2009/10/4 Thành Trung Nguyễn <trungnthut at gmail.com>:
> I think the bin is the element parents. But I wonder if I can get an element
> by name before put it into a bin. Can I do it ?

If it's not inside anything (bin, pipeline, etc.), then you can't do
that - either you have a direct reference to the object (in which case
you could just use it), or you don't - in which case the object should
have been freed, because its refcount will be zero.

There's no global registry of
currently-instantiated-gstreamer-elements in which to look something
up by name.

Mike