[gst-devel] Any ways to add/remove branches to/from a running pipeline

David Schleef ds at entropywave.com
Thu Oct 8 05:14:11 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 02:14:21PM -0700, Shiping wrote:

> Hi, there:
>
> I am trying to record live video, so a pipeline is setup to record video
> continuously.
>
> And during this process, I would like to preview the video from source.  So
> I add a tee to the recording pipeline and branch out for previewing.  When
> preview stopped, the branch was removed from the pipeline.
>
> I tried hard not to pause recording pipeline, but got all kinds of errors
> and unstable recording.  Currently all I can do is pause recording,
> inset/remove branch, and restart the whole pipeline.

I wrote gtkvideomonitor for this purpose.  From its name, it's clearly
dependent on Gtk+, but it would convert easily into another toolkit.
To use it, one puts a gtkvideomonitor element into a pipeline, and
then connect a GtkVideoWidget to it.  It acts like an identity, but
will convert formats to RGB and display them in the widget periodically.
The library and elements are in gst-gtk-widgets, which google knows
about.

dave...