[gst-devel] strange CPU loading for audiotestsrc and filesrc

Viraj Karandikar virajk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:13:22 CEST 2009

Hi,
I had tried audiotestsrc without live option too. But loading wasnt any
different from live case.
I looked into audiotestsrc source. Its doing simple memset() to zero on the
buffer. Didnt see any complex code there at least for silence case.

About profiling, I tried to get oprofile working on the board. But its not
working. Might have some dependency issue with the kernel.

regards,
Viraj

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Viraj Karandikar <virajk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am seeing some strange behaviour while doing CPU load measurement when
> > running gstreamer.
> > I am relying on uptime and idle time give by "cat /proc/uptime" to
> calculate
> > CPU load.
> > We have implemented custom audio source (dalsrc) and sink (dalsink)
> plugins
> > for our board (ARM9E on TI DM6446).
> > I am using gstreamer-0.10.24.
> >
> > I have following two cases:
> >
> > Case 1:
> > gst-launch audiotestsrc wave=silence is_live=true blocksize=160 !
> >
> audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000,depth=16,channels=2,width=16,signed=\(boolean\)TRUE,endianness=\(int\)1234
> > ! dalsink
> > Average CPU load over 5 minutes : 18%
>
> As well as your cpu usage measurement technique being pretty
> inaccurate, it's not surprising that audiotestsrc is slow - it's a
> test element, and has has absolutely no optimisation done, or even any
> attempt to make it vaguely ok. It's probably just doing something
> stupid for the silence case.
>
> Additionally, the first case is a live source - your second isn't.
> Those aren't very directly comparable. There might be something that's
> slower because of that.
>
> Mike

- Viraj
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.