[gst-devel] Catching Segmentation fault or crashing a library

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 21:15:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 11:55 -0700, John Tobias wrote:

> The gstreamer crashes due to one of the plugin causing it, but I do
> not know which one. Are there any tools that I can use to locate the
> error when the gstreamer crashes?.
>
> Note: gdb or strace are not the right option for me at this time.

Well, you really need a debugger if you want to debug stuff. gdb is your
tool of choice here.

Alternatively, you could run

 $ rm ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry*
 $ GST_DEBUG=GST_PLUGIN_LOADING:5 gst-inspect-0.10

and look at the output to see which plugin it is trying to load before
it crashes. For that you obviously need a GStreamer core with the
gstreamer logging system enabled (which is usually the case on the
desktop, but not always on embedded systems; it should be fairly easy to
build a copy with it enabled though if that isn't the case yet).

 Cheers
  -Tim