[gst-devel] Cannot save H.264 bitstream in QuickTime (qtmux) file, error "failed to determine the time to mux"

Yiliang Bao yiliangb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:15:17 CEST 2009

Following is the pipeline I used:

gst-launch -e v4l2src ! ffmpegcolorspace ! x264enc ! qtmux ! filesink
location=a.mov

The output from gst-launch is:

ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQTMux:qtmux0: Could not
multiplex stream.
Additional debug info:
gstqtmux.c(1107): gst_qt_mux_add_buffer ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQTMux:qtmux0:
Failed to determine time to mux.
Execution ended after 416709785 ns.

I also tried the following 2 pipelines and both of them are working fine.

gst-launch -e v4l2src ! ffmpegcolorspace ! qtmux ! filesink location=a.mov
gst-launch filesrc location=Videos/g.mov ! decodebin ! ffmpegcolorspace !
x264enc ! qtmux ! filesink location=a.mov

I have tried both webcam and TV capture card as the capture device, but got
the same result.

Has anyone seen similar problem before? I found one post reporting the same
problem, but there was no followup.

http://www.nabble.com/rtsp---h264---mp4mux-td23866919.html#a23937937

Thanks!

Yiliang