[gst-devel] about capturing 5.1 and 7.1 sources

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 18:58:28 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 17:53 +0200, Julien Isorce wrote:

> There is a ac3iec958 element that can convert a ac" stream to raw int
> stereo data (audio/x-raw-int, channels=2). Am I correct ?
>
> Well, Is there a  rawIntStereo_to_ac3 element ? does it make sense ?
> (Because I heard that ac3 can be provided over raw stereo.)

Some people put AC3 or DTS data into 16-bit stereo PCM streams, but this
is mostly a "hack" as far as I know. This kind of mis-labelling of the
stream contents should not really be needed.

I don't think there's an iec958ac3 element yet. Alsasrc would probably
need a few fixes before this would work anyway.

Cheers
 -Tim