[gst-devel] GST_DEBUG_BIN_TO_DOT_FILE doesn't show all elements.

wl2776 wl2776 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:56:20 CEST 2010

Stefan Kost wrote:

> wl2776 wrote:
>> Yes, I know, I play a wav file. The question is - why has playbin2 left
>> the
>> video-sink?
>> And another question - why I don't see any video-sinks in the pipeline?
> why should playbin add the videosink to the pipleine if its not needed.
> GST_DEBUG_BIN_TO_DOT_FILE() only shows the elements that are in the
> pipeline, your videosink is not.

If I see messages from the videosink, then it's added to the playbin, right?

Stefan Kost wrote:

> What is the problem that you have with that behaviour?

No problems, just a wish to get the full understanding of GStreamer's
details.
For now, I simply deleted this videosink from the pipeline and re-added it,
when needed.

Currently, I am doing some surgery for the playbin2 in order to make it play
sound and video from the separate files.
I've got some success:
http://n4.nabble.com/file/n1773975/0.01.37.910789000-player.png player.png
(430Kb)  .
This playbin has drawn the first movie frame and even has twitted something
in speakers.

I has asked a question on the list, but it was left without the answer.
My task is to play a video and a sound from separate files, some media is
recorded this way - DV video in the AVI container and a sound in WAV files.
The user selects one of files, either .avi, or .wav. The player must detect,
that one of two streams is missing, find another file with the same name and
the different extension and load it.

What is the correct approach to this?

I decided to create a playbin2, set it to playing, capture bus messages,
check for "vqueue" or "audiosink" in their owners and find which stream is
missing.
Then, in case of missing streams, I could remove the created playbin2 and
create my own bin.
However, I was afraid, this could cause some flickering. Therefore I decided
to add missing parts to the playbin2.

Could anyone comment on this?