[gst-devel] gstreamer ossbuild BETA2 misssing pieces

Kulecz, Walter (JSC-SK)[WYLE INTEG. SCI. & ENG.] walter.kulecz-1 at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 9 20:45:04 CEST 2010

>Developing on Windows with mingw/msys is not straightforward ;)
Seems it would be if the gstreamer tree were setup correctly.

> I wouldn't trust pkg-config on Windows. As you say, iconv.h is
>installed in c:/gstreamer/include which is not listed by pkg-config,
>so consider adding '-lc:/gstreamer/include' to solve it. You should
>also change '-Lc:/gstreamer/lib' '-Lc:/gstreamer/bin' for since on
>windows .la files are not distributed  and you can link against the binaries.

Adding -Ic:/gstreamer/include didn't change anything, copying all the *.h file in c:\gstreamer\include to C:\gstreamer\include\gstreamer-0.10 allowed the HelloGstreamer.c sample program to compile.  When I ran it (all on W2K) I got (hitting the spacebar to dismiss every WS2_32.dll error):

$ HelloGstreamer test.ogg
** (HelloGstreamer.exe:1884): WARNING **: Failed to load plugin 'c:\gstreamer\lib\gstreamer-0.10\libgstasfdemux.dll': `c:\gstreame
r\lib\gstreamer-0.10\libgstasfdemux.dll': The specified procedure could not be found.
** (HelloGstreamer.exe:1884): WARNING **: Failed to load plugin 'c:\gstreamer\lib\gstreamer-0.10\libgstgio.dll': `c:\gstreamer\lib
(rest of these warnings from dismising the WS2_32.dll error dialog deleted)
Now playing: test.ogg
Running...
Dynamic pad created, linking demuxer/decoder
End of stream
Returned, stopping playback
Deleting pipeline

And the short test.ogg audio file seemed to play fine.   Also, if I dismiss all the WS2_32.dll error dialogs, eventually the msys command ::  gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! dsvideosink does play as expected.

>The binaries and the developers package are different things. The
>download is called "GStreamer WinBuild 0.10.5 *Developers Package*",
>and has the '-dev' suffix, which clrealy states the purpose of the installer.

I know, I've installed both the 0.10.5 packages on W2K and both the BETA2 on XP.
Neigher work right.

>Many developers have been able to use successfully the dshow capture
>wrapper on windows.
If I get a capture device working on my XP notebook, a sample gst-launch command would be helpful, as gst-launch from the BETA2 install on XP seems to work.  Too bad I need to start from zero again with the include file spaghetti :(    But my motivation is minor until I get a Directshow video capture device working there.  Its easy on my W2K box as its got PCI slots and I've spares of the cards I use on Linux.

>If you know how to setup properly the compiler flags there is no need
>for that. the msys zip has nothing to do with GStreamer and it's a
>helper tool we use to compile the deps, you don't it at all, unless,
>as I said before, you know what you are doing and the pros and cons of
>using msys/mingw.

I'm not clairvoyant, if the documentation were decent I'd have a clue as to what the properly setup compiler flags are supposed to be.  Pkg-config is supposed to be the way  to "just use it" without needing to know where the developers put things.  But if its broke, the whole scheme breaks down and either gstreamer is just given up on as too much trouble, or you get threads like this on the mailing lists.

The obvious advantage of msys/mingw is I could (once I copied the *.h files to where the broken Win32 pkg-config could still find them) build the sample program with the same command on Linux and Windows::   gcc HelloGstreamer.c -o HelloGstreamer `pkg-config --cflags --libs gstreamer-0.10`