[gst-devel] Help with using dshowvideosrc

Kulecz, Walter (JSC-SK)[WYLE INTEG. SCI. & ENG.] walter.kulecz-1 at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 9 23:40:45 CEST 2010

I'm stuck with trying to get dshowvideosrc to work.

gst-launch videotestsrc ! dshowvideosink works as expected.

I've scrounged up an ATI TV Wonder USB HD650 video device and it seems to work on my XP notebook, at least with its bundled software, which I used to select the  S-video input.

But a simple gst-lauch command in an msys window gives:

$ gst-launch dshowvideosrc ! dshowvideosink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
0:00:02.062966000   716   00334130 ERROR          dshowvideosrc gstdshowvideosrc.cpp:589:gst_dshowvideosrc_change_state: Can't R
 the directshow capture graph (error=0x8007048f)
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

At which point I'm stuck.  This is just a proof of principle test, the next question, if I can get it to display live video, will be how do I select the input source?  The overview of all plugins documentation, http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/plugins.html doesn't have an entry for dshowvideosrc, among others, like dshowvideosink fer instance.

I assume that like v4l2src,  input selection needs to be done programmatically since gst-launch can't talk to the interfaces.  In my initial tests on Linux I used TVtime to set the video input and then could use gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink to verify function.  But then, dshowvideosrc could be very different, or perhaps directshow driver doesn't retain the input selection across invocations although the ATI player software seems to resume where I left it set.