[gst-devel] Problem with rtp live streaming and 'computer too

Mallard mallard at quacken.com
Mon Apr 12 16:42:20 CEST 2010

>> Admitting ignorance, but what in the world does
>> "Z2QAHqwkqAtD2wFQgAAB9IAAdTAHixdQ,aO8yyLA" mean and how on earth
>> would you ever know it? Wes

This string (as is the clock-base, etc) is *generated* by gstreamer
itself each time the 'capture/send' end of the pipeline is set up. The
exact contents vary depending on when you start the pipeline and what
your pipeline parameters are. As I understand it, the "receive" end of
the pipeline needs to know this stuff in order to successfully
negotiate a synchronized transfer of data. The actual negotiation
details are pretty complex, and are documented in the rtp-bin code.

If you 'gst-launch -v ' (verbose turned on) the server (the
capture/send end of the pipe) from a command line somewhere down
toward the bottom of the very verbose output you will see a reference
to UDP - that area will contain the actual caps that this particular
setting has created. You need to somehow get that into the 'receive'
(client) end of the pipeline in order to avoid the dropped packets and
bad sync errors you are seeing. You are correct that the computer is
*not* too slow.

This script mentions that the caps should be negotiated out of band.
Look around for some python examples that do this - they are out there.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/tests/examples/rtp/client-H264-PCMA.sh

Good luck!