[gst-devel] Where'd the timestamps go?

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Wed Apr 14 14:11:38 CEST 2010

What i want is to copy a single jpeg image t some to be given timestamp from
a saved MJPEG-in-a-matroska-file a into a jpg file.  Actually, to pick out a
list of individual frames from the saved stream and put them individually
into separate jpg files and then later to reassemble them.  A crude foorm of
stream editing to be fancied up later.

My problem is that i just seem to be missing the ah-ha moment on writing
gstreams in programs.  The book gets me mouth wateringly close but I can't
quite yet form the questions into word that it isn't answering.  As I
learn/figure out more....  Unless someone wants to volunteer a pretty
complete example of connecting up sometimes and request pads in C.  :-)

In the mean time, I'd like to analyze the stream-in-a-file outside gstreamer
to pick out the frame I want.  So knowing where it stuck the timestamp would
help.  Only problem is, where ever it is stuck it is not ASCII.  A hex dump
of the file is massively unhelpful until you learn the flags and find where
the content "elements" are in the file.  e.g. FFD8 starts a new jpeg.