[gst-devel] OpenGL context: GTK X overlay v/s SDL v/s Clutter v/s Wx

Filippo Argiolas filippo.argiolas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 09:56:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Alexandre Quessy <alexandre at quessy.net> wrote:
>> Please tell use which example is unstable for you and what is the exact
>> error. As such gstreamer and gtk is a solid team.
>
> As you can see in the shell log below, setting the X window ID
> sometimes fails. It seems like sometimes the X resource is not
> available. In some cases, the window appears to be grey, and nothing
> happens until the application crashes. Sometimes it works, but
> sometimes it doesn't. I am testing the gtkxoverlay example that is
> shipped with the current Git version of gst-plugins-gl. I am running
> an up-to-date Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz with 2
> Gb of RAM and the Nvidia driver.

If I recall correctly those examples were never updated after gtk
moved to client-side-windows.
With that gtk+ changes you can never be sure that a gdkwindow is bound
to a X11 handle unless you call gdk_window_ensure_native().
That's most probably the reason for the errors you are getting, it
doesn't have anything to do with opengl.

Hope this helps,
Filippo