[gst-devel] Could not close resource error when using gnomevfssrc with ftp

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Tue Apr 20 14:24:54 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 22:35 -0300, Tiago Katcipis wrote:
>
> > using a public ftp i run this:
> > gst-launch -v gnomevfssrc
> > location=ftp://194.44.214.3/pub/music/Collection/ArtofNoise.mp3 !
> > queue ! decodebin ! fakesink
> >
> > and it works ok, the ftp is really slow...it takes a good time before
> > it starts to download and decode....but works
> >
> > even if i try:
> > gst-launch -v gnomevfssrc
> > location=ftp://194.44.214.3/pub/music/Collection/ArtofNoise.mp3 !
> > queue ! decodebin ! alsasink
> >
> > i can hear the music (it takes a while to go from paused to playing,
> > something like 20-30 seconds....but if you wait it wil happen).
> >
> > But if i take the queue element out:
> > gst-launch -v gnomevfssrc
> > location=ftp://194.44.214.3/pub/music/Collection/ArtofNoise.mp3 !
> > decodebin ! fakesink
> >
> > the pipe stays blocked for ever (on both cases)... is this behavior
> > expected? have anyone faced something like that? is a good policy to
> > always put a queue after a gnomevfssrc?
>
> If there's no queue between the source and the decoder/parser, then
> gnomevfssrc may be activated in pull mode if gnomevfssrc thinks it can
> seek in the resource it opened. I don't think this ever worked
> particularly well. "ftp" should probably be in the blacklist of
> protocols that shouldn't operate in pull mode, like http is already.

now it makes sense, thanks for the help Tim. I was thinking on something
related to that, put i didn't realized the pull mode thing.

> But in any case, you should really use giosrc instead. gnomevfs and
> hence gnomevfssrc are deprecated.

we are trying, but we had some issues installing gio support on our
development machines (i remember that was something about the daemons, it
simply didn't worked), and gnomevfs support was quite easy to install and
almost all the time it works :-), but i had lost so much time with gnomevfs
that now i see why we really should put some effort on moving to GIO.

> Cheers
>  -Tim

Best regards,
Katcipis