[gst-devel] Playing remote file

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 23:55:17 CEST 2010

Stefan Kost wrote:
> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> I play a sound file on the local machine using playbin2 by setting the
>> uri
>> parameter to file://path.to.file.  Where can I get information about what
>> other network protocols can be used here?  I would like to be able to use
>> the uri parameter to specify a sound file on another machine on the same
>> LAN.  Both machines run Ubuntu.  I suppose that I could copy the file to
>> a temporary directory on the local machine and then play it from there,
>> but I suspect that there is a better way to do this.
>>
> you can iterate the gstreamer registry and find all features that
> provide GstURIHandler. Check what "gst-inspect-0.10 -u" is doing.
>
> Stefan

Whether I use ftp or sftp as the network protocol, I get the same result:

gst-launch-0.10 playbin uri=ftp://jeffbarish@quartet:/home/jeffbarish/00.ogg
(gst-launch-0.10:4633): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple
times
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /GstPlayBin:playbin0/GstGioSrc:source: Could not open
resource for reading.
Additional debug info:
gstgiosrc.c(321): gst_gio_src_get_stream ():
/GstPlayBin:playbin0/GstGioSrc:source:
Location ftp://quartet:0/home/jeffbarish/00.ogg not mounted: The specified
location is not mounted
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

I presume that I don't have the servers configured correctly, but I can't
find any information about how they need to be configured for GStreamer.
--
Jeffrey Barish