[gst-devel] gst_element_class_set_details() gone?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 12:44:16 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 13:36 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About this commit:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/commit/?id=3b4aa3f76a0252560151186bbdfb6be4e28880af
>
> The commit message is very bad; it's missing key information: why?
>
> According to Stefan; gst_element_class_set_details is causing a extra
> reloc and pointer copying. While that's probably true, the overhead is
> almost nothing, and only happens once, when the class is being
> initialized, right? It's ABI breakage for no reason.
>
> If a new API is in the works, that's cool, but since there's no better
> API right now, IMO the commit is doing more damage than good.
>
> FWIW, I'll be removing GST_DISABLE_DEPRECATED instead.

The replacement for gst_element_class_set_details() is
gst_element_class_set_details_simple(), which does exactly the same
thing but more efficient.

gst_element_class_set_details() is still there unless you define
GST_REMOVE_DEPRECATED but will be hidden from the headers if you define
GST_DISABLE_DEPRECATED.

That's the same as was done to many other functions in the past too,
e.g. gst_element_get_pad() or gst_atomic_int_set().