[gst-devel] comfort noise generation bin

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 21:34:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 12:53 -0500, pl bossart wrote:

> >>   You might be able to do this without resorting to a new event, but
> >> instead by having the jitterbuffer send new new-segments which is the
> >> technique we also use for sparse streams (i.e. the decoder sees a
> >> new-segment, knows that no data is available until a certain point and
> >> therefore pushes out comfort noise up to the new start position).
> >
> > Are you suggesting we have the jitterbuffer resend a newsegment event
> > every 20 or 30 ms ? Btw, that "GstRTPPacketLost" already exists in the
> > jitterbuffer.
>
> SID and Packet losses are orthogonal concepts, this approach will not
> fly. SID is used to reduce the bandwidth when the Voice Activity
> Detection (VAD) on the transmitter side doesn't detect any speech to
> transmit. You can have regular or SID frames, and packet losses for
> both types for frames.

Oops, I though rtpjitterbuffer would generate a lost packet message
after a certain amount of time, but it seems to only generate it on the
next packet after a gap. So you are right, it is not a good solution.

I still think we need some kind of arbitration to not have more than one
decoder produce silence since Farsight2 will keep the previous decoders
if the sender starts sending on a new PT. That's why I wanted to do it
as late as possible (in the mixer).

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk