[gst-devel] GStreamer Metrics

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Thu Apr 29 09:34:04 CEST 2010

Hi Greg,

Greg Wunder wrote:

> I'm specifically thinking of metrics that deal with performance.
> CPU, Mem Usage, Bandwidth (if network based), etc.
> Is there a way that GStreamer can query your underlying hardware
> resources & let you know usage as well as quality of service?

please keep the discussion on the list. GStreamer has a QOS framework.
It can deal with shortage of CPU internally to some extend (drop video
frame to keep audio continuous). There is also QOS reporting in latest
core release.
For other metrics, e.g. gst-tracelib
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ensonic/gst-tracelib/) can check cpu load,
memory usage.

As far as I know its not so easy to get most of the metrics in a cross
platform fashion, and even just on linux its not easy to get information
about network performance from the network stack.

Stefan