[gst-devel] queue2, playbin2, decodebin2 (was: RELEASE: GStreamer 0.10.29 "It's a Trap")

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 17:37:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 16:35 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:

> what's is the status of queue2? is it prefered to use over queue?

I think it depends on the use case. In most situations where a queue is
used, you don't need any of the additional features that queue2 offers,
so there is not really any need to switch (I think the defaults may also
be slightly different). There's also multiqueue, which is used in
decodebin2 and may also be an appropriate replacement for queue elements
in similar situations. If you don't have an problems with it, I'd just
stick with whatever you use now.

> and anyway the same question apply to decodebin2 and playbin2.

Both the old playbin and decodebin have severe limitations that can't be
fixed whilst maintaining their current design and API. That's why new
elements were written from scratch. For all practical purposes, the old
decodebin and playbin elements are deprecated and not really supported
any longer.

Use playbin2, uridecodebin or decodebin2 instead.

 Cheers
  -Tim