[gst-devel] fuse & gstreamer transcoding

Leon Bogaert leon at tim-online.nl
Mon Aug 2 15:23:37 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a FUSE fs which transcodes all sound files to mp3 (or whatever). My first idea is to use gstreamer as the backend for transcoding.
I thought about using this pipeline:
gst-launch -v filesrc location=01\ New\ Born.flac ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! lame vbr=4 vbr-quality=9 ! id3v2mux ! appsink

The python bindings of fuse calls this function when a file is being read:
def read(self, length, offset):

How would I transfer the buffer from gstreamer to the fuse fs? I don't how to handle this. I've never used appsink before. And how to handle the seeking when a user skips a part of the songs for example?

I hope it's clear what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Leon