[gst-devel] Synchronising audio/video playback across multiple pipelines

David Liu davel at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Aug 8 04:41:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'd like to time-synchronise media playback across multiple pipelines for a project that I'm working on, e.g. to play/pause/seek multiple video files simultaneously. I have two ideas in mind for how this might work:

1. Set each pipeline to PLAYING/PAUSED state separately, and then manually set the base and start times of each pipeline to the same values. The documentation for the gst_element_set_start_time method suggests this approach, but it's not clear exactly how to go about it.

2. Subclass GstSystemClock and create a custom monotonic clock that can be paused and restarted by my application. To change the pipeline state, the application would (a) pause the clock, (b) change the state of each pipeline, (c) resume the clock.

Are either of these approaches 'correct'? Or is there a better way to go about this? Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

- Dave L