[gst-devel] Buffer Duration

Hoyt, David hoyt6 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 20 23:01:09 CEST 2010

Am I thinking of buffer-duration wrong? Does buffer-duration imply how long to buffer for before playback? Or does it imply how long the buffer is allowed to live before it's automatically swept and removed? If so, how can I go about smoothing playback?

We see several frames coming in from a motion jpeg camera and they're timed just right, but then it'll pause for a bit (200-300 milliseconds), and then play a few frames real quick. So we always get the correct number of frames, but their timing isn't perfect and we're trying to correct for it. When I set buffer-duration to 300000000 (300,000,000 nanoseconds == 300 milliseconds, right?) on playbin2, and I play back something w/ an explicit framerate of 10/1 (using video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=10/1), shouldn't that buffer only 3 frames ahead? I'm seeing a delay of ~2 seconds. Ideally, the only latency between what we see on screen and what's happening in real life in front of the camera would be the time that it was constantly buffering the frames ahead (a buffer-duration of 300 milliseconds?).

Is it possible to do what I've described with existing gstreamer elements?

Thanks for your help -- it's greatly appreciated!