[gst-devel] Separate audio feeds to front/side/rear channels

drunkahol duncan at innes.net
Wed Aug 25 12:07:17 CEST 2010

I've got an issue at work requiring the streaming of TV audio feeds to a
telephone system to let the traders listen to TV channels by dialing the
right number.  I am using gst-launch to capture the 6 channels as separate
left/right stereo channels and send them across the network.

For simplicity, I had hoped to play these 3 stereo feeds through
front/side/rear channels of a single suitable sound card, but am having
problems.

Whilst the following works

# gst-launch audiotestsrc volume=0.250 freq=300 ! audioconvert ! alsasink
device=front &
# gst-launch audiotestsrc volume=0.250 freq=400 ! audioconvert ! alsasink
device=side &
# gst-launch audiotestsrc volume=0.250 freq=500 ! audioconvert ! alsasink
device=reat &

(although only as root) I get the right tone in each channel.

But,

# gst-launch filesrc location=test.ogg ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! alsasink
device=front &

gives me:
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
ERROR: from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstOggDemux:oggdemux0:
Internal data stream error.
Additional debug info:
gstoggdemux.c(3450): gst_ogg_demux_loop ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstOggDemux:oggdemux0:
stream stopped, reason not-negotiated
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Leaving the "device=front" part off allows the audio to play.

Is there something I need to do to get the Ogg stream in the right format to
play back on front/side/rear? Also, is there any way of listing which
devices are available for alsasink?  I've poked around endlessly with alsa
configs etc and there doesn't seem to be anything.

Thanks

Duncan