[gst-devel] MP4: Endless stream impossible?

beast markus at greenrobot.de
Fri Aug 27 10:21:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have the general question about MP4 and streaming. Given are two raw data
streams (h264 and aac) for input, which should be muxed into a streamable
format. The input streams are potentially endless; those are real streams
and not files. The scenario is similar to streaming from a web cam. The
(muxed) output stream should be available as soon as some raw input data is
available.

To my current understanding, this cannot be done using MP4. For the given
receiver, it is necessary to have the moov box before the mdat box. However
the moov box must contain index information for the entire stream. This
information is not available when streaming is started. Is this correct?
Some confirmation would be highly appreciated, I am no expert in this field.
Are there any workarounds?

For the given receiver, 3GP would be an alternative container format. But
since it's also an ISO format similar to MP4 it has probable the same issue,
right? I haven't looked at the details yet, so if someone would tell be the
opposite, I would be very pleased.

Thanks,
beast