[gst-devel] how to attach camera that has no plugin

Bert Douglas bertd at tplogic.com
Fri Aug 27 18:28:19 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Sandeep Prakash <123sandy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>

> Bert Douglas wrote:
> >
> > How does one application reference an instance of an element that is in a
> > completely different process?
> >
> Why should the camera library loaded in a different process. As I had
> replied to your other post
> use appsrc and in the "need-data" callback feed your frames from the camera
> APIs.

I already have a python app that works with video4linux.
Now I want to hook up a different camera.  It comes with a library from the
manufacturer.
But nothing related to gstreamer.

I am thinking I should start with existing plugin for camera source.
Perhaps video4linux, and modify source code to talk to other camera.
This way I can instantiate the new element into my python app without any
problem.

How about videotestsrc, would that be good to use as a model?