[gst-devel] plugins for editing

Vasilis Liaskovitis vliaskov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 07:23:42 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Edward Hervey <bilboed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Definitely :) Nobody tackled that task for this summer of code.

thanks for the update. I am fairly new to gstreamer internals;
wrapping some of these filters into gstreamer elements should be an
interesting project.

>  You just made me realize I never got round to putting down a list of
> the existing available FOSS projects that could be wrapped :(

>  At the top of my head:
> * audio noise removal: audacity has a quite decent noise
> estimation/removal filter.

not sure if audacity's noise removal capability is exported into a
shared library (this capability seems to be in the main app under
src/effects/NoiseRemoval.cpp). I 'll investigate this a bit more.
There''s also gnome wave cleaner (http://gwc.sourceforge.net) though I
haven't used it.

> * video filters:
>  ** you should have a look at the avisynth filters (most of them are
> open-source but not free software though, and exist only for windows,
> but should be easy to wrap as gstreamer plugins)

since I am currently on linux, these are not currently on my todo list
- at least not for now. If there are specific ones that do work across
platforms, let me know. I do see a huge filter collection at
http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/ , but I am not sure which would
work under linux.

>  ** you could also leverage the existing open-cv gstplugins for the
> motion estimation

taking a quick look at gst-opencv, I am not sure that there is already
a motion compensation plugin/element. Did you mean creating a new
gstreamer wrapper/element for opencv's motion estimation
functionality, or is that already in gst-opencv?

> * color correction:
>  ** Thibault Saunier (thiblahute, SoC student on PiTiVi) was interested
> on working on this, you could maybe contact him. Having these elements
> in GStreamer is the top-ranked requirement for PiTiVi in regards to
> effects :)
there's a lot of development effort in the pitivi-effects branch. I
'll try to stay up-to-date with development there and see if there's
any help needed.

> * once a pair of those plugins are available (ex: audio noise
> detection/removal) one could also add a bin element that, by re-using
> them and working over a number of previous/future frames, applies some
> smart correction.

ok, I 'll have to decide on a first plugin pair to get me started.
In the meanwhile, let me know if there 's a preferred way for code
development e.g. forking an existing  gst-plugins-* repository  or
just starting a new empty git repository from scratch.

thanks,

- Vasilis