[gst-devel] Compositing and GStreamer

Timothy Braun braunsquared at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 08:12:51 CET 2010

Hey Everyone,
  I just wanted to send out a very heartfelt thanks to those that helped me
over the last few days.  Both via the mail list and irc.  Your assistance
has been most appreciated.

  Turns out the issue was that I should have RTFM.  During my tests I had
overlooked one of the documents on the GStreamer website which turned out to
be most useful.  Not neglecting the assistance from others, without it I
wouldn't have known what to look for and in the end pads were my nemesis.

  I have a test working, 6 videos, in a single frame all composed with a
gnlcomposition with a videomixer in a gnloperation.  Very exciting.  I also
have a second sequence of 6 videos (in a 3x2 grid) in the same composition.
Here's my next, and hopefully final, question.  The first sequence of videos
gnlsources are configured like:

   - start: 0
   - duration: 30 * GST_SECOND
   - media-start: 0
   - media-duration: 30 * GST_SECOND
   - priority: incrementing by 1 depending on grid location

  This all works wonderfully.  When I add another sequence with the
gnlsources configured like:

   - start: 30 * GST_SECOND
   - duration: 30 * GST_SECOND
   - media-start: 0
   - media-duration: 30 * GST_SECOND
   - priority: incrementing by 1 depending on grid location

  All the videos vanish and I end up with a blank frame with a duration of
60 seconds.  It I set the media-start property to 30 * GST_SECOND, it all
works but the second sequence of videos are off by 30 seconds.  The source
files are the same although the elements are unique to it's presence in the
stream.  This leads me to believe that somethings happening during a seek of
some nature.  Would adding the second sequence of videos when receiving the
EOS signal fix this or is there something else going on? If it should happen
during the EOS signal, is there anything I should be aware of when adding
elements to the pipeline while handling the signal?

  Again, most appreciated and when this is all said and done I'd be more
than happy to write up a wiki document on what I've learned about gnonlin,
pads and troubleshooting links between them.

  All the Best,
  Tim