[gst-devel] get element type name

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Wed Dec 1 22:19:53 CET 2010

Edward and Michael,

Between you I got the answer I needed.  Knowing what to call "something"
sure help trying to find the gst_something_get_somethingelse().

     g_print( " | %-*s",      c3w, gst_plugin_feature_get_name(
gst_element_get_factory( element )) );

However, when I check the warnings from my compiler  I see that the pointer
type from gst_element_get_factory() isn't what gst_plugin_feature_get_name()
is looking for.  Well, of course not, a factory is not a pugin feature.

Well, then what about gst_element_factory_get_longname() instead.  Nope,
that returns "UDP packet receiver".
OK, what about gst_element_factory_get_name().  Guess what doesn't exist.
And, gst_element_factory_get_icon_name() seems not to exist in my gstreamer.
Says it's declared in gst/gst.h.  Is that right?

So, I guess the question is, if I just cast the factory pointer to a plugin
feature pointer and forget about it will that always work as I expect it
will since I suspect that gst_plugin_feature_get_name() just wraps some
g-object_get_name() with proper pointer typing.

Wes