[gst-devel] Trouble using x264enc with a tee

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:17:35 CET 2010

Hi,

it looks like your email client ate up all of the newlines.. useless
to say how hard it is to read its outcomes :)

btw, some hints below..

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM, JonathanHenson
<jonathan.henson at innovisit.com> wrote:
> I am writing a multiplexed video/audio streaming thread for a video server I
> am working on. I was having problems so I am testing, to make sure the
> pipeline works by knocking the data into a file. However, the end goal will
> be to use a multifdsink to send the stream to a socket. So, you will notice
> that the multifdsink element is actually a filesink for the time being.

ok so it looks like you're currently using a filesink, aren't you?

> This
> pipeline works with other encoders, but when I use x264enc for the video
> encoder, the pipeline freezes and no data is put into the file. Also, there
> is a tee in both the audio and video portions of the pipeline so that other
> threads can grab the raw buffer if they need to access the data.

the default question under this condition is.. are you putting a queue
element after one of the two ends in the queue? The rationale behind
this is that you need to split the threads for the two downstream
pipelines.

> That way
> only one thread is ever accessing the camera. If I remove the tee in the
> video pipeline, the pipeline works.

+1 for my comment of above

> Also I have tested that if I put an
> xvimagesink on both sides of the pipeline that both windows get the stream,
> so I am pretty sure that the tee is not the problem.

actually, it may be if not properly used :)

sorry for not commenting on the remaining part, but I'm just over a
party for the Finnish Independence Day and it's too hard to read
considering the % of alcohol in my blood. Hopefully my comments of
above will give you an hint. Please attach again your sources and
output either as separate files or in pastebin if you need further
help.

Regards