[gst-devel] Figure out performance with Gstreamer on ARM processor

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:31:41 CET 2010

Hi,

this appears to be a re-posted message duplicated from:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/32134

(or something like that). Btw, some on-the-fly comments below..

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Vahe Gerald-B06319
<B06319 at freescale.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> I am running FFMPEG codecs on an ARM processor.  In an attempt to figure out
> performance, I am trying to encode the videotestsrc with the MPEG4 software
> encoder.

generally speaking, as ARM architectures come with HW cores for video
codecs you should you them when available. Anyway, it's still possible
your HW is missing them (I wonder which weird HW it is in such a case
though :/).

> I initially pulled together this pipeline, which worked:
>
> gst-launch -e videotestsrc ! video/x-raw-yuv, framerate=15/1,
> width=320, height=240 ! ffenc_mpeg4 ! avimux ! filesink location=test.avi
>

> However, I notice that the processor is over its limit.  In an attempt to
> figure out how under real time it is, I figured I would create a RAW file on
> the target with a known length.  (IE---10 seconds)
>

> Then, ENCODE that file with a separate command.   That way, I could see if
> it takes 12 seconds or 20 seconds to encode.  (And I will know how close the
> processor is to handling it real time.)
>

> To create the RAW file, I pulled together this pipeline, which appeared to
> work fine:
>
> gst-launch -e videotestsrc ! video/x-raw-yuv framerate=15/1, width=320,
> height=240 ! filesink location=testraw.avi
>

> Now, I was thinking I could use this command to “TIME” how long it would
> take to encode the file.  However, I get a bunch of errors.  (Below)
>

> time gst-launch -e filesrc location=testraw.avi ! ffenc_mpeg4 ! avimux !
> filesink location=test.avi

you're missing (at least) the avidemux element here (between the
filesrc and the encoder), then maybe you'll need to put a capsfilter
(not sure about how avi deals with raw formats).

> Any Idea what I am doing wrong or what these errors mean?  I also tried
> AVIMUX and DEMUX in their perspective places, but got similar errors.

well, if you tried to put and avidemux between the source and the
encoder and you still got an error, please post it here.

Regards