[gst-devel] 0.11 development

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 12:38:47 CET 2010

Hello,

This mail is just to clarify some rules for the new 0.11 branch:

1- Development of plugins and new features continues on the master
   branch. Everything that can possibly go into 0.10 should go to
   master first. This can include cleanups that are needed in the 0.11
   branch such as removal of deprecated methods.

2- We periodically merge master into 0.11. I would like to see
   frequent merges. When you commit something to 0.11, try to merge
   the changes on master when possible.

3- At the end of the development cycle we want to switch the 0.11 and
   master branch and prepare for release. We don't want to do a massive
   merge at that point, so we need the small incremental merges.

4- changes to 0.11 that could end up in 0.10 as well can be cherry
   picked when needed. Note that this case should be very usual because
   it means that you failed to follow rule 1.

The end result is that all the new features get developed and tested in
0.10 and eventually also end up in 0.11.

Merges will probably get more difficult when the code bases are getting
too different, when we get to that stage we will re-evaluate how to
maintain the two branches. It could be that we only do a weekly merge
then or even less frequent, we'll have to see.

Wim