[gst-devel] Why does this video format conversion fail?

wally_bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 22:05:43 CET 2010

Timothy Braun wrote:

> Wally,
>   Theres other parts to the negotiation besides color space.  Framerate
> and
> size are also considered.  You may want to make it resemble:
>
> gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale !
> videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv, framerate=\(fraction\)30000/1001, width=640,
> height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink

Thanks, adding videoscale was all that was required, and you are correct the
second ffmpegcolorspace is not needed.

This one works:
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video2 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale !
video/x-raw-yuv, framerate=\(fraction\)30000/1001, width=640, height=480 !
xvimagesink

The PCI cards all can do a yuv format, but apparently the USB Hauppauge 950Q
can only do rgb formats (I'm using only the S-video or Composite SD TV
inputs it has).

The second ffmpegcolorspace element is only needed if I want to use
raw-gray.  Which brings up another question is it more effecient to pass yuv
buffers around that contain 50% more data than will be used (intensity only
algorithm) or have a second ffmpegcolorspace in the pipeline?