[gst-devel] distorted video encoded with x264

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 10:23:12 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 01:11 -0300, Rafael Sousa wrote:

> When I use the x264 build 85 that issue doesn't occur, the video is
> perfect, only in superior build that I tested (98 and 110) that the
> problem occur. I don't have any idea of what can be happening, I've
> already removed and installed the packages several times, I even
> upgraded my ubuntu system from 10.04 to 10.10 but no change. Anyone
> have any idea? I've tried all that I know. I need to use the build 98
> or superior.

Just as a note, the x264enc plugin code has some special handling here
and there depending on the x264 version compiled against. It assumes
that the x264 version used at runtime is actually the one it was
compiled against as well at the moment. This can lead to weird things
happening when you upgrade/downgrade libx264 to a different version than
the plugin was compiled against.

So when you upgrade/downgrade libx264, you definitely need to recompile
gst-plugins-ugly.

(There may still be a bug of course..)

 Cheers
  -Tim