[gst-devel] RTP+MJPEG - Sniffing packets with wireshark, How clients join the rtp server

Mauro Brenna malloblenne at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 12:20:04 CET 2010

Hi,

thank you for the replies.

I looked for some more information about wireshark and it appears that
wireshark can detect the RFC 2435 (RTP for MJPEG).

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/j/jpeg.html

So, I expected, like it is for VLC using RFC 2250, that every UDP
packet containing an RTP packet as payload will be detected. During my
tests, I see only standard UDP packets.

I read something more about RTP and JPEG, I would like to know if I
can use the RFC 2435 for images and another RFC for audio and
synchronize audio and video using RTCP. In this case, I would like to
know if I can do the same for N video sources in RFC 2435. In the
negative case I believe I will be constraint to use RFC 2250 for
streaming both video and audio.
Moreover, can I stream directly JPEG frames using RFC2250? IMHO,Since
it isn't written in the RFC I believe it isn't possible.

I know that these questions are a bit OT because they are more general
than gstreamer use, but I am trying to understand the real
potentiality of the protocol for developing my realtime application.

Thanks,

Mauro