[gst-devel] What are the types of the parameters that can be passed to gst_init ?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Dec 26 20:02:37 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 10:37 -0800, Anirudh wrote:

> but I wanted to know what should I pass...Gstreamer manual says that u
>  can pass NULL as a parameter as well. So what are consequences of
>  passing NULL. gst_init(NULL,NULL);

What do you think the consequences of that are?

Simply that you can't set extra options via command line arguments.

> Suppose I don't want to pass the parameters from command line then it would
> be something like
> gst_init(param1,param2);
>
> then what should be param1 and param2...can anyone give an example for
> clarifying this doubt.
>
> something like ./a.out xyz pqr
> yeah! some value...but what should be the XYZ or PQR & what will be its
> consequences after gst_init(&argc,&argv) uses them to initialize Gstreamer

There's nothing particularly GStreamer-specific here, it's just an
extension of how main() works in C, or how gtk_init() works. The reason
the addresses of argv/argc are passed is so that arguments that have
been handled by GStreamer can be removed.

It's quite easy to play around with this a bit in code to see how it
works.

 Cheers
  -Tim