[gst-devel] How to stream video from a desktop to an Android device?

Suneet Shah suneets at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 16:42:56 CET 2010

Hello,

My name is Suneet and I'm working on a proof of concept project to get back
up to speed with development (I haven't done any serious development in 3
years ;) ). I have some questions about what gstreamer plugins I should look
at to accomplish this.

My project is this:

   - Stream a Linux desktop to an Android device as video
   - Add simple control layer --> A click on the android device should
   result in a click on the Linux desktop

I've done a bunch of research on gstreamer and I think it is perfect for
what I want to do. So far, I've figured out how to capture the desktop and
record it to a video file (thanks to looking at the Istanbul application).

Now I need to figure out:

   - How to encode the video as h.264
   - How to stream the video to an android device

I've chosen h.264 because Android has native capabilities for playing H.264
streams, so this should keep the Android part of it fairly simple. I'm
planning on using simple socket programming to pass messages between Android
and the desktop for the control layer. I'm using Python and pygst to write
the Linux server app.

My questions are:

   - Does my approach seem sound and should it work?
   - What gstreamer plugins should I look at to stream the video?
   - What plugins should I look at to encode H.264?
   - Will I need to use another tool, like a streaming media server (Darwin
   or otherwise) to stream the video, or can I accomplish it completely through
   a gstreamer pipeline?
   - Are there any relevant examples I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Suneet