[gst-devel] How to get thumbnail/preview image of a video file using GStreamer API ?

sudarshan bisht bisht.sudarshan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 17:18:19 CET 2010

HI ,
             For this you can write a Gstreamer applications where you have
a basic pipeline which has filesrc , decodebin , encoder ( if you want to
have encoded file as a thumbnail e.g. png or jpg ) and filesink . Now once
you have this pipeline , seek to a particular position in video file so that
you get a valid frame because very first frame can have invalid/ blank data.

             After seek run this pipeline for a single frame of data , and
you can get a thumbnail. To resize your thumbnail you can use video resize
plugins also.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Burka Victor <burka.victor at yandex.ru>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you help me with the following: I need to display a thumbnail image of
> my video file in the video player playlist that I'm developing. So was
> looking in the GStreamer API how to get a thumbnail image. I understand I
> might depend on a file format, but is it any way to get that picture ? I
> found in the Internet something called "preview" or "preview-image" tags
> that I can retrieve, but again I didn't find how in the API.
>
> Thanks,
> Victor

Regards,

Sudarshan Bisht