[gst-devel] oggdemux push seek support

Jay L. T. Cornwall jay at jcornwall.me.uk
Sat Jan 16 21:31:19 CET 2010

Hi David,

>> The Ogg format is inherently difficult to seek because the stream
>> headers (intentionally, by virtue of its streaming-oriented design) do
>> not provide enough information to do this and its codecs are typically
>> VBR. In pull mode, oggdemux performs a bisection search of the stream to
>> identify chains (Ogg files concatenated together) and to compute the
>> total stream length, among other things. This process is too seek
>> intensive for push mode and so the demuxer currently has no seek support
>> in push mode.

> You'll probably want to read this and related stuff to find out
> what efforts are being done in the area:
>
>   http://pearce.org.nz/labels/ogg.html

Well, I'll be.

I investigated the Skeleton metadata track during my research and it
didn't appear to offer anything useful to this problem. That was 3.0 -
3.1 seems to add everything I need!

Thanks for that, I'll have a play with the prerelease tools and put
together an alpha patch for gstoggdemux.c to parse and use the
prerelease metadata. That's a much better solution, as it will easy to
append a metadata track to existing Ogg files.

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/