[gst-devel] Help needed to reduce unusually high CPU utilization in v4l2src, caused by memory copy.

yiliang yiliangb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 23:57:13 CET 2010

Hi,

I am optimizing a V4L2 driver for video capture device. In the v4l2 driver,
the DMA is performed based on frames using contingent memory buffers. After
a frame is captured, the frame data is copied to a application buffer in
v4l2src.

gst_v4l2src_grab_frame()
  ->     *buf = gst_buffer_copy (pool_buffer);

However, the time spent on copying the buffer is very costly, about 0.01
seconds, which is very large considering frame time is only 0.033 seconds.

I do not know whether this is the right forum. Any suggestions will be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Yiliang