[gst-devel] First attempt at stereo video support : time for feedback

Martin Bisson martin.bisson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 06:49:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've been working on adding support for stereo video in GStreamer.  I now
have a pretty functional, although not complete, prototype and I would like
feedback from the community on it.

I'm interested in any types of comment.  On the approach I used, my coding
style, the names of everything (some names will definitely change, so please
comment on that), the things I should look out for, etc.

I cloned gst-plugins-bad and put my work on Gitorious at :

http://gitorious.org/video3d
http://gitorious.org/video3d/video3d in the gsoc branch

So this should do it :

git clone --branch gsoc git://gitorious.org/video3d/video3d.gitgst-plugins-bad

I have developped 3 plugins :
 * video3dmerge : takes a left input stream, a right input stream and
produce a stereo stream
 * video3dconvert : takes a normal video input stream containing two images
and produce a stereo stream
 * video3dpresent : takes a stereo stream and present it in different ways
(left-right, top-bottom, anaglyph)

The how-to/get-started guide can be found in a README file in
gst-plugins-bad/gst/video3d/README or at :

http://gitorious.org/video3d/pages/HowTo

You should start by that.  The different use cases I thought of are at :

http://gitorious.org/video3d/pages/UseCases

If you can think of more, please let me know.

Finally, my whole blog can be found at :

http://gitorious.org/video3d/pages/Home

With my progress at :

http://gitorious.org/video3d/pages/Blog

My next target is to support events and signals, set proper timestamps,
segments, etc. with the merging plugin (already supported in the conversion
plugin) and work on optimization of the anaglyph generation using ORC.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Martin