[gst-devel] What is 'forward continuous' and other questions about reverse playback.

wl2776 wl2776 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:47:12 CEST 2010

I am reading the GStreamer design documentation and have doubts while
interpreting several sentences.
Probably, my problem is because English is not my native language.

The part-trickmodes.txt says in the "client side backwards trickmode"
section:

 - A source plugin sends data in chunks starting from the last chunk of the
   file. The actual bytes are not reversed. Each chunk that is not forward
   continuous with the previous chunk is marked with a DISCONT flag.

What does 'forward continuous' mean?

For example, filesrc sends bytes from 150 to 200 in the first chunk and
100-150 in the second chunk.
Will it mark DISCONT the second chunk?

Going further, to the MPEG demuxer, processing a video file with I, P and B
frames. How are they marked?