[gst-devel] Question on conventional properties/events to descript run-time request

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Jun 15 05:41:51 CEST 2010

2010/6/14 Chen, Weian <weian.chen at intel.com>:

> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> And what I want is to change bit-rate etc at run time after the encoding process starts.
>
> So my question is does Gstreamer framework have conventional properties/events for run-time configuration?

Properties can be changed at runtime. Whether this actually works is
entirely up to the particular element. GStreamer doesn't currently
have any mechanism to query whether a property can be modified in a
particular element state, though.

Most encoders do not let you modify the bitrate target at runtime -
but if you have an encoder that can do that, you should simply make
setting the property during encoding set the changed bitrate on the
underlying encoder properly.

Mike