[gst-devel] gst-rtspserver and request authentication in python

Hristo Trendev dist.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 18:32:40 CEST 2010

Hi,

For the last couple of days I've been trying to figure out how to at
least configure and start gst-rtspserver in python. All the examples I
could find were only in C and even though they gave me a good idea of
how it works I couldn't do it in python.

I was able to start a server in python, but all I could figure out was
how to change the listening port. I tried to access the server with
VLC and it will print the requests/replies right until it sends 404
not found, which sure is normal since I don't have any media mapping
to a media factory.

What I'm ultimately trying to achieve is to implement a way of rtsp
authentication in python based on a per client token embedded in the
request URL, before I let the client connect to the stream. For that I
guess I'll have to be able to get the setup request (or some other
request) so I can check if the request URL has a valid token in it and
only then to allow the client to connect to a media factory. I don't
know if this is at all possible, since it seems that there is only
static URL <-> media factory relation set via media mapping before the
server is started. Looks like there is no way to randomly
connect/reject clients based on a token in the URL once we have the
server running...but I'm probably wrong.

I was hoping someone from the list can point me to a document or
sample python script to get me started on gst-rtspserver.
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and gstreamer packages that come with the distribution.

Thank you in advance!

Hristo