[gst-devel] how to capture the http stream

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jun 29 18:12:15 CEST 2010

On Thursday 24 June 2010 21:52:54, Wes Miller wrote:
> You may also want to consider whateversrc ! matroskamux ! filesink that
> will store your raw stream in a matroska container file (filetype is
> mkv).

  In that case, you'll also need to insert a parser element to find the
boundaries between frames.  Otherwise it'll be stored in the file in chunks
of 2Kbytes instead of chunks of one frame.

 The parser element to use depends on the stream type: mpeg4videoparse,
h264parse, jpegparse, multipartdemux, ...

> When you use that file you'll need to run it through a
> matroskademux element. For reasons I do not understand, the matroska
> storage format is considered better than just straight storing the
> stream.

 One reason is that it stores the boundaries between frames, so you don't
need to use a codec-specific scanner to find them (which you need to do e.g.
seeking).  Second reason is that it stores timestamps, so you can play back
the stream at the same rate it was recorded (otherwise it will just be
decoded at maximum CPU speed).  And finally, it allows you to multiplex
video and audio (hence the name 'mux').

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540