[gst-devel] gstreamer-devel Digest, Vol 49, Issue 76

Christopher Brooks cab938 at mail.usask.ca
Wed Jun 30 18:48:47 CEST 2010

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:05:05 +0200
> From: Manuel Font?n Garc?a 	<manuel.fontan.garcia at gmail.com>
> Subject: [gst-devel] PhD Student
> To: gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi I'm a PhD student from Vigo University very interested about
> GStreamer, I'm attending to next Guadec willing to get in touch with
> community and if possible start contributing in some manner as I learn
> more about GS, If anyone want to know me it'll be fantastic.
>
> Apart from my personal interest I am looking for mid/long term
> collaboration  projects  in which  the  GTI(Information Technology
> Group) from  Vigo  University could participate, especially those
> related to networking and streaming stuff. If someone is looking for
> high motivated individuals with technical knowledge and strong I+D
> experience, a brief meeting could settle the basis for a profitable
> collaboration.

Hi Manuel,

I'm a researcher and senior PhD student in the computer Science department
at the University of Saskatchewan.  We’re currently working on a large open
source project called opencast (www.opencastproject.org) which looks to
record academic lectures and broadcast them back to students.  We use
gstreamer for some of this, also ffmpeg/etc.  One of the partner
organizations in this is Vigo University, so your email caught my eye.  The
people working with us (on cc) I'm sure would be interested in talking to
you about how you could get involved in the gstreamer aspects of this
project if you, or others in GTI, are interested.  The project has broad
appeal and we're looking at potentially hundreds of deployments across the
world over the next year and a half or so.

Lots of our work is at the Java level using the Java-gstreamer bindings, but
we have some hardware with particular issues that we've been playing around
with patching (or patching the gstreamer sources).  I'm the current managing
individual for the portion of the project (the "capture agent") that uses
gstreamer, so if you would like to talk you're welcome to join in our weekly
meetings...

Regards,

Chris
--
Christopher Brooks

mail:  Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems (ARIES)
Laboratory,
       Department of Computer Science, University of Saskatchewan
	   110 Science Place
	   Saskatoon, SK
	   S7N 5C9
email: cab938 at mail.usask.ca