[gst-devel] Call for help: Toonloop live animation software

Alexandre Quessy alexandre at quessy.net
Mon Mar 1 19:53:24 CET 2010

Hello everyone from the Gstreamer-devel list,

My name is Alexandre Quessy, and I am the creator of Toonloop, a free
live stop motion animation software. I am in the process of porting
Toonloop to Gstreamer and C++. I am looking for helpers for dealing with
anything related to Gstreamer, video capture, OpenGL, GLSL shaders, SDL
and GDK-PixBuf images. As you can see, there are quite a lot of
different technologies involved in this software! Toonloop 1.2 uses
Python as a programming language, and I plan to keep Python for the
external control graphical user interface, (probably with GTK+) using
OpenSoundControl protocol over UDP to control the C++ application.

So, right now, I have a Gstreamer v4l2src uploaded to an OpenGL texture
in SDL, and it works pretty well. I still need to fine tune the
rendering, to save images, store a list of file names, etc.

There are plenty of artists interested in this live animation software,
but I would love if a few programmers could help in these difficult
tasks I have to do in the next few weeks to port Toonloop to C++ and
Gstreamer. If anyone is interested in helping out, I would really
appreciate if you would subscribe to the Toonloop mailing list and write
a mail there explaining what you would like to do to help this nice
software project.

Also, maybe this project could benefit from the Google summer of code
via the Gstreamer project. That would be awesome. Any other idea is much
welcome! (and can be expressed on the Gstreamer-devel list)

Links:
The Toonloop Web Site: http://www.toonloop.com
The code repository : http://bitbucket.org/aalex/toonloop1/