[gst-devel] v4l2src & glupload at only 12 FPS?

Alexandre Quessy alexandre at quessy.net
Wed Mar 3 14:39:42 CET 2010

Hello everyone,
I have worked on a prototype of a pipeline that uploads a live video
feed to an OpenGL texture and shares it with a context in SDL,
starting from the tests/examples/sdlshare.c file in gst-plugins-gl.
The source code can be found at
http://bitbucket.org/aalex/toonloop1/src/tip/src/sdlshare.cpp and can
be compiled with the autotools.
(./autogen.sh && ./configure && make)

It seems like the mesured framerate is consistently pretty slow. I get
an average of 12 FPS on a Dual 2.2 GHz with the latest Ubuntu and a
decent Nvidia graphic card. I obtained 30 FPS on a faster machine with
a better V4L2-supported video capture card.

Does someone have suggestions on how I could overcome this ? I would
also prefer to have a framerate that's faster than the capture card's.
29.97 FPS is what NTSC gives me, whereas most projectors and monitors
can do up to 60 FPS. I have tried to set the "sync" property of the
fakesink element to FALSE, or TRUE, without success. Any other hint ?

--
Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net/