[gst-devel] GStreamer Cygwin Build

Greg Wunder gwunder at eoir.com
Tue Mar 16 15:09:11 CET 2010

1) Whether it be good or bad, MinGW binaries are available through the cygwin setup install
2) I need to try this...just need to find docs on how to
3) Qt appears to have 2 different runtime environments.  One that works great with visual studio, the other with MinGW.
My project needs to be platform independent & I have headed down the MinGW road for this.
In doing so, I need to link in libs from GStreamer both static & dynamic.
The MinGW version of QT does not like binaries build in Visual Studio or native Linux gcc (i.e. .la files or .so files), so I'm attempting to build the source in cygwin to produce recognizable binaries in the QtMake compiler.

With the MinGW version of QT, the Visual Studio binaries link but do not run.
With this same version of QT, the following error is produced in the QMake when attempting to link in the Linux .la files: "Could not read symbols, file in wrong format".
This seems to be expected.
My thought (although I'm not sure of it) was to configure & build the GStreamer source in cygwin (using gcc, etc.) apart from the Visual Studio compiler.
The hope here was to produce meaningful binaries that QMake for MinGW can understand.
My underlying system is WinXP SP3.
Any additional thoughts or suggestions?