[gst-devel] Get pointer to elements in pipeline

wl2776 wl2776 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:44:29 CET 2010

wl2776 wrote:

> ericcardmanNo3 wrote:
>>
>> But i do not have a reference to the pipeline yet. And i do not know the
>> name of the pipeline.
>> The pipline gets build by the Qt application "mediaplayer". My decoder
>> plugin gets loaded.
>> But i need the file descriptor of the opened media file.
>>
> I would browse the mediaplayer's sources and look for the
> GStreamer-related code.

A-ha! There is a macros GST_ELEMENT_PARENT(). If you have a decoder element,
then, some bin will be its parent, and you can get it.

However, I'm in doubts about correctness of your approach. In my
understanding, the 'transforming' element just gets data from outside and
processes them. It should not deal with the sources of that data.
What if the data would come from a live stream, or would be
application-generated, such that the file descriptor simply doesn't exist?