[gst-devel] gstreamer decoder

wl2776 wl2776 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 13:53:13 CET 2010

Nuno Cardoso-2 wrote:

> The gstreamer framework uses ffmpeg codecs to encode/decode data?

Most of codecs don't use ffmpeg's codecs.
There is a separate plugin, gst-ffmpeg, which uses ffmpeg's muxers, demuxers
and codecs.

Nuno Cardoso-2 wrote:

> Or can I develop a gstreamer plugin for my application that uses decoders
> from
> gstreamer?

Surely, nothing can stop you from developing a plugin.
There is a Plugin Writers' Guide and a template, which you can get from git
repository.

However, FFmpeg is very different from the GStreamer in the concepts.
FFmpeg allows you to get an encoded frame or a decoded picture in memory
(and encoding also).
If you need to draw it, or sync with audio data, then you're on your own.

GStreamer provides a pipeline, allowing media data to stream from a source
(file, device, network server, ...) to a sink (screen, sound card, file,
etc) and takes care about synchronization.