[gst-devel] nikon-project

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Mar 22 14:53:46 CET 2010

Alexey Fisher wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 21.03.2010, 22:04 +0200 schrieb Alexey Fisher:

>>> from a brief look, it seems to be a wav audio file, that contains exif tags.
>>> Imho thats outside of the riff-wav specs (same for avi). There are plans for
>>> writing internal exif support for gstreamer. If it could be used here too
>>> (outside of jpeg) it would be good to account for that.
>>>
>>> I wonder if you can find some sources that document these file format extensions.
>>>
>> hmm... do you mean this?
>> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/RIFF.html
>>

> If gstreamer will support exif, will it support only video and sound
> files?
> Do you plan to support all EXIF tags?
> Or it make more sense to use some independent library?

git head of gst-plugins-base has a small xmp library (no external deps)
and it's used in mov/3gp/mp4 plugin and jpegformat plugin already. The
plan is to have exif support for jpegformat plugin too, but now I would
think it is better to have exif support in gst-plugin-base the same way
we added xmp there. I simply did not know that it is used anywhere else
then jpeg.

> Current gstreamer can't extract metadata on any files produced by
> digital cameras, exaftool can. It handle even ogg, mov, avi, many image
> formats ...
> But it can't handle mkv files.

What metadata are you missing from mkv. Imho the gstreamer mkv plugin
supports metadata. Do you have a reference for exif in mkv as well?

> What longterm solution is better for example for tracker, to add mkv to
> exiftool or to add exif to gstreamer?
> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

I can not make any promises on the timeline. Would you be interested in
helping?

Stefan